While the skiing action is undoubtedly your main focus on your luxury alpine break, with a little creativity you can still create family memories or just go that final furlong to getting the kids exhausted for bedtime away from the slopes!
1. Crepe-tastic Treats For the Family - Some of the happiest memories of childhood ski trips involve the tradition of going out for crepes after the day's skiing. Any French resort worth its salt will have a host of fine creperies on offer, and crepes are one of those foodstuffs which somehow invoke a lot of joy, and demand a certain sort of ceremony to their consumption?! Selecting the filling can be the highlight of the whole event, and enjoying your crepe en famille a formative experience for many!
When in Val d'Isere, we recommend the Creperie Au Grand Marnier for your young crowd of enthusiasts.
2. St Anton and Kid-Friendly Apres Ski - These two concepts - kids & apres - might sound totally mismatched, but Krazy Kangaroos in St Anton is actually a popular haunt for families who like their apres inclusive! After all, for adults the main objective of the apres-ski experience is fun, and who loves fun more than kids! It's not unusual to find yourself dancing on the bar alongside a jolly 5 year-old and of course as long as things don't get too raucous with the OJ, an hour or two having a boogie to some blaring pop music will thrill the little ones and make the teenagers feel very grown-up!
3. Your Own In-House Pizzeria - If you are staying in one of our fully-catered luxury ski chalets, the in-house chef can often lead the children in a pizza-making session in the chalet kitchen. Chefs help and direct them in preparing the food, they can of course choose their own toppings, and ultimately, the best bit: devouring them!
4. All Action Resorts - If the physical exertions of skiing and snow filled fun STILL aren't enough to tire out your energetic brood, you can hire out the sports hall at the local sports centre in certain resorts for a high-octane, action-packed game of football! Round up some of the other kids from their ski school, or if you are travelling in a group of two or more families, a good old-fashioned five-a-side family face-off makes for a great fun activity! Val d'Isere, St Anton and Morzine all offer good sports centres with pools, and Courchevel will soon be bringing their much-anticipated Sports Centre to its visitors!
5. The Best Childcare - Time and time again we hear from our returning clients just what a difference was made by the exceptional care and attention of the staff in their chalet! We have heard of staff building an igloo INSIDE the chalet as a surprise for the children when they returned from the day's skiing! This particular gesture really delighted the family and made for a great feeling of hospitality and a memory they were telling their friends about for a long time after they returned home!
We love comparing and sharing our best childhood ski memories amongst the team here... What are your favourite ski trip memories, and what traditions made you so look forward to the annual ski trip? Can you beat any of the above?