1. Snow!! This glorious precipitation that we get so obsessed with as we sit in the UK in anticipation… is on it’s way!! And Lech is going to get a very good portion of it (87cm expected in the coming week, with a further 32cm the next week), so for those already booked, you can smugly watch the forecasts, or if you are looking for a holiday let us help you get out there to enjoy the fresh powder too.
2. New Lift. For those who know this resort well, the furor of excitement that the newest lift in the Arlberg region is stirring up will be completely understandable. The Flexenbahn holds 47 cabins holding 10 people each and takes 6 minutes to ascend. What this lift allows is immediate access to the rest of the Arlberg region (Austria’s largest contiguous ski area), opening up a total of 305km of pistes and 87 lifts and cableways. Additionally it will limit use of buses in and out of Lech, as well as cars driving into the town, which is great for both the environment of the earth and the environment of the town itself!
3. All abilities of skiers. Lech is one of those unusual resorts which effortlessly caters for all abilities of skiers, boasting exhilarating off-piste for the most powder hungry adventurous skiers through to rolling gentle blue runs for beginners to learn or tired legs to relax on and plenty of exciting reds for the in-between! For off piste we recommend hiring a guide to ensure complete safety on the mountain and of course to ensure maximum enjoyment- let someone else worry about where to find the best spots so you can throw yourself into a purely adrenaline seeking experience! We recommend Exclusive Mountain Guiding for private lessons and guides with expert knowledge, a range of languages and a passion for getting the most out of the mountain!
4. Beautiful town. Lech has remained a moderately small village resort, compared to some of the other larger sprawling towns, and therefore what you get in turn is a wonderful Alpine feel, with a charismatic, charming atmosphere that will encourage you to return year on year. On choosing Lech as your ski destination you might even find yourself rubbing shoulders with royalty as it has become a favourite for them in the past, and we can completely understand why!
5. Access. This resort is amazingly easy to get to, which increases its appeal to those flying, since it’s only 90 minutes from Innsbruck airport. From there a transfer with the fantastic Taxi Harry will seamlessly provide smooth, friendly transport to your chalet or hotel. Taxi Harry also offers taxis between Lech and St Anton, which is worth considering when you read about the party town of St Anton below… Just in case that floats your boat.
6. Amazing Properties. Lech is not short on unbelievable properties that will excel many skiing holiday destinations; Chalet N (sleeps 18), with Ski in/Ski out access, indoor pool and spa with all the trimmings, is also built in such a way that gives space and tranquility whilst maintaining a chic, luxurious and cosy feel. Or Uberhaus for boutique contemporary style with an Alpine twist, this sophisticated chalet with Ski in/Ski out access, spa, extensive wine cellar and outdoor hot tub takes some beating. For a 5* family run hotel let us book you into Hotel Aurelio for sheer elegance and quirky features, for example an underwater music pool! Also on offer is their gourmet restaurant, chauffeur service to the slopes and an exceptional spa.
7. Delicious Food. The Austrian food is utterly sumptuous and speaks for itself as a reason to choose Austria as a destination, however in Lech there are also a great range of fine dining establishments that take this charming resort to the next level in chic sophistication; the award winning Griggeler Stuba has a creative menu, and up the mountain we love Rufikopf & Rud Alpe for delicious Austrian food that hits the spot during a hard day’s skiing or Montana Oberlech for cosy interiors or a gorgeous sun terrace to catch some rays whilst enjoying a delicious meal.
8. Close to the party resort St Anton. St Anton is considered one of the liveliest skiing resorts in Austria and also the skiing capital of the country. With plenty of sporting activities on the slopes the resort then lends itself to a party atmosphere come après time! So plan a day’s skiing ending in St Anton instead, take in the full and crazy party scene from enjoying drinks on the resort bound runs, through to the town’s various night time venues, bars and clubs. Use Taxi Harry to then get you home in one piece to sleep off the adventures!
9. Family Friendly. This resort is very family friendly, with plenty of ski schools to choose from and also a good range of nurseries and baby sitters. We recommend Ski Schule Lech for great instructors and knowledge of teaching skiing in a fun and engaging way or Googie’s Babysitting for safe and secure babysitting that offers a bespoke service of care whenever you need it.
10. Non skier activities. This is always a category to consider when choosing a holiday destination, to ensure either that members of your party are catered for or just when you need a day to rest, relax and enjoy the town. With small boutiques, cafés & events there will be plenty to entertain you, as well as a few spas to dip into; for example Hotel Aurelio (mentioned above) has an incredible spa with all the treatments one could wish for- particularly a great massage! At the Goldener Berg expect an indoor spring water pool, finnish sauna, bio sauna, steam bath, tepidarium, various showers and an outdoor Jacuzzi offering fantastic mountain views. A perfect relaxation activity for those needing pampering! And of course not forgetting - If you prefer cross-country skiing to Alpine skiing, this is the place to be!
For more on Lech or any other resort, please give us a call on 01993 899 420 or enquire here.