For many, the perfect end to a ski day is a steaming glass of mulled wine. With temperatures dipping, why not fix yourself a glass this evening...it's remarkably easy!
• 2 bottles of fruity, unoaked red wine
• 2 unwaxed oranges
• 1 lemon, peel only
• 150g caster sugar
• 5 cloves, plus extra for garnish
• 5 cardamom pods, bruised
• 2 star anise
• 1 cinnamon stick
• A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
• 150ml ginger wine
1. Peel and juice 1 orange, and add to a large saucepan along with the lemon peel, sugar and spices. Add enough wine to just cover the sugar, and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 – 8 minutes until you have a thick syrup.
2. Meanwhile, if you’re serving the mulled wine immediately, stud the second orange with 6 vertical lines of cloves, and then cut into segments to use as a garnish.
3. Turn the heat down, and pour the rest of the wine into the saucepan, along with the ginger wine. Gently heat through and serve with the orange segments as a garnish.