*LAST UPDATED 08/01/2021*
It’s no secret that there have been regular changes to the information available surrounding specific areas, with news coming intermittently from most sources over the last few weeks and months, with local authorities and national governments outlining new restriction and procedures.
With lockdowns in place in many countries around the world, the UK included, it might be hard to consider the prospect of travel right now, yet we’re busy helping people plan their trips for the end of the season (which we hope will be accessible to UK travellers) and also confirming bookings for Winter 2021/22 as we’re seeing key dates (such as Christmas and New Year) booking up well in advance.
For the UK, the latest lockdown is set to be in force until at least mid-February, which does give hope that access to The Alps for some late season escapes is feasible - even if not as yet guaranteed. This is especially true for those resorts such as Val d’Isere whom remain open as late as May – we’ve pulled together a list of these top picks on our blog for you.
For those further afield (outside the UK) Switzerland still presents the best opportunity for ski escapes right now and from first hand reports the experience is excellent and safe infrastructures are working well – so don’t take our word for it, see what Emily had to say about her recent trip to Zermatt.
Here’s what we currently know:
- Switzerland - Most resorts are open but can vary based on the Canton area, but with key resorts including Zermatt and Verbier operating, there’s plenty of piste to please even the most avid skier. Whilst most restaurants are only able to offer a take-away service, hotel restaurants and catered chalets continue to deliver first class experiences to guests staying with them.
- France - Lifts currently remain closed, although we understand this will be reviewed again by the 20th in the hope of reopening resorts shortly thereafter.
- Austria - Currently closed to international guests with accommodation and restaurants also closed. Local access only. We hope to have more news soon with the 24th January suggested as the next date for an announcemnt.
- Italy - Italy has postponed the reopening of its ski resorts until later this month. January 18th is the date currently pencilled as the earliest possible date.
- Canada - With some of the best conditions in the world right now thanks to La Nina bringing a deluge of snow, Canada (specifically Whistler) is teasing us all right now, but access is highly restricted to overseas guests and a 14-day quarantine is in place for all arrivals.
- USA - Ski resorts are operating mostly ‘as normal’ however non-domestic access is currently very limited. Entry to the USA is currently banned for all non-nationals travelling from China, Iran, European Schengen area, UK, Rep. of Ireland, Brazil.
Whilst this is - as always – a moving dial with changes to the situation, we will continue to monitor information as it is provided and continue to work with our clients to get them on the slopes this winter.
If you’re looking to plan your winter escape, please get in touch and a member of the team will happily help get you there…